Tangy and crunchy Mexican Bhel
Last week, we showed you our favorite comfort food. This week? Let’s talk about Mexican Bhel. This recipe is for all Mexican food lovers out there. It’s simple to make – just toss some veggies, and mix with flavorsome refried beans sauce – and requires just 30 minutes start to finish.
This is the perfect dish for those gloomy rainy days. Traditionally bhel is an Indian savoury chaat dish that is composed of rice puffs. We have used the most basic ingredients used in Mexican cuisines and combined them with some Indian spices.
Refried beans sauce is an integral part of the dish, and a dash of Ajwain seeds add a zing! Find the recipe below.
If you give this recipe a try, let us know! Leave a comment, and tag a picture #livelifefolk on Instagram. We’d love to see your version in action.
- 8 flour Tortillas
- 2 medium Onion finely chopped
- 1 large Green Bell Pepper finely chopped
- 2 small Tomatoes finely chopped
- 2 cups shredded Lettuce
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- Oil for frying
- 1 TBSP Oil
- 1/2 Tsp Ajwain seeds
- 1 Tsp Ginger
- 2 cups tomato puree
- 500 g Refried Beans
- 1/2 Tsp Chilli powder
- Salt to taste
For the Refried Beans Sauce
- Cut flour tortillas into 1'' squares and deep fry in oil till golden brown; keep aside.
- In a large pan, add oil and once its hot add ajwain seeds, let it simmer for a minute.
- Add 1 Tsp ginger paste and stir until mixed.
- Add the tomato puree and simmer on low heat for 5 mins.
- Once hot, add the refried beans and gently mix. Add chilli powder and salt to taste.
- Add a cup of water and more depending on the consistency you need to achieve.
- Bring to a boil over high heat, and then reduce heat to a low, and simmer for five minutes.
Refried Beans Sauce
- Take fried tortillas in a serving plate and assemble them at the bottom.
- Add a thin layer of cheddar cheese on top.
- Layer a generous amount of the refried beans sauce. The heat from the bean sauce will make the cheese gooey.
- Next top it with tomatoes and continue layering with capsicum, lettuce and onions. See photo series as a guide.
- Top with another layer of tortillas chips and add cheese on top if you like
- Serve immediately
Assembling the dish
- If you like a little bit of spice, you can add jalapeños, and a bit of salsa sauce.